How to make my Vinyl Decorations Dishwasher Safe?
I hear this question all the time. You spend all that time getting the perfect design and the perfect placement, only to find out that you need to hand wash the item.
How many times have you lost that sale because the customer wants something that can be put in the dishwasher?
Don’t lose heart. There is a simple solution.
There is an amazing product called Mod Podge. The product has been around since 1967. The product is made by Plaid and it is a water based sealer, glue and finish.
This Mod Podge works great with paper, vinyl and even glitter.
Step by Step Instructions
- Clean your project surface with warm soapy water. Rinse thoroughly and let dry completely. Mod Podge will work on glass, ceramic, and metal
- If you have a large piece, an alternative cleaning method is to use rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball.
- Roll your bottle on the table or between your hands to mix the Mod Podge.
- Open and use a soft bristle brush to apply the finish to the surface and the back of the design element.
- While the Mod Podge is still wet, place the design onto the surface and smooth.
- Do not apply the design element where it can be in contact with food or your lips. For example, apply to the back of a glass plate or 3/4″ down from the edge of a cup.
- Let dry for 1- 2 hours and then apply 2 – 3 more coats. Let dry 1 – 2 hours between coats.
- Cure your project for 28 days.
- Wash by hand or in the top rack of the dishwasher.
Can I use ANY Mod Podge?
Not all Mod Podge is Dishwasher Safe, so be sure you are getting and using the correct formula.
There are currently 17 different formulas of Mod Podge. While that might sound overwhelming, there are only 4 different categories which will help make it easier to understand.
Everyday Finishes – Specialty Finishes – Special Surface Finishes – Top Coat Finishes
Everyday Finishes are just what they sound like, everyday Mod Podge projects. These are your basic finishes for gluing and sealing with Mod Podge.
Specialty Finishes are your wood, ceramic, and glass surfaces. These include furniture, ceramic dishes and glassware. This category also includes outdoor furniture. These outdoor finishes help protect your projects from moisture and the elements. The outdoor finishes work well on clay pots.
Specialty Surface Finishes are include your paper and fabric surfaces.
Top Coat Finishes are your specialty top coats. These are amazing. These include the Glow in the Dark Mod Podge. This is a Halloween favorite. Use several coats for the best glow in the dark results.
Another Top Coat Finish is the Mod Podge Clear Chalkboard Topcoat which turns any surface into a chalkboard. Unfortunately, you are not able to write on this surface with just anything, you must use chalk. But it will behave just like a chalkboard. How cool is that?
Puzzle Saver Mod Podge is also included in this category.
Yes, we sell Mod Podge in our online store.
Just look for the products in the Shop under the Main Menu.